There are claims that a range of web sites such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and even Google search, can be addictive and harmful in a number of ways, so I set out to explore the topic. The findings include the potential to brainwash an entire generation to become controlled by the AI behind social media, enabling Facebook et al to earn significant share of global GDP, becoming an effective global taxation system and potentially even global government.
This is an index of the findings.
- Government Level Alarm:
- The US National Academy of Sciences suggests social media is a threat similar to the climate crisis.
- Congress questioned Big Tech CEOs for 5 hours without getting any good answers (engadget)
- My explorations:
- Australia vs Google: Should Google Pay for News?
- Facebook: Is it OK good or bad Facebook controls so much of the web?
- A Simple Look at the Engage, Grow, Monetize Model